Mr. Stephen Suau is a professional engineer with 40 years of experience in both the public and private sectors in southwest Florida. Although most of Mr. Suau’s career has been in the private sector, he served as Executive Director of Sarasota County’s Planning and Development Business Center and Director of Sarasota County’s Stormwater Environmental Utility. He has been involved in numerous watershed restoration projects including the Celery Fields, the Dona Bay Watershed Restoration and Management Plan. Current and previous Clients include the Palmer Ranch, Lakewood Ranch Steward District, Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority, Stolen Saddle Ranch, Lady Moon Organic Farms, the Gulf Coast Community Foundation, and The Nature Conservancy. Mr. Suau is also recognized as an expert in Green Infrastructure Design and served on a statewide panel of regulatory, academic, and practitioner representatives at the Florida Chamber of Commerce’s annual Environmental and Water Conference.
Mr. Suau has a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Illinois in Civil Engineering and a Master’s in Engineering Administration from Bradley University. He resides in Sarasota, Florida and has served as chairman of the Sarasota County Stormwater Environmental Utility Advisory Committee, co-chairman of the Sarasota County Environmentally Sensitive Lands Advisory Committee, vice-chairman of the Myakka River Planning Advisory Committee, and the Sarasota County Sustainable Agriculture Policy Committee. He has also served as the Southwest Florida areas representative on the Technical Advisory Committee for the Statewide Stormwater Treatment Rule and is a member of the Technical Advisory Committees for both the Sarasota Bay Estuary Program and the Coastal and Heartland National Estuary Partnership.
Mr. Suau has been recognized with numerous awards including:
• 2022 Certificate of Commendation for outstanding achievement in over 35 years of water quality solutions of the City and County of Sarasota, Florida from the Sarasota Soil and Water Conservation District
• 2022 Certificate of Completion Foundation Courses with Distinction from Dr. Elaine’s Soil Food Web
• 2008 Certificate of Appreciation for Dedication and Faithful Service as President from the South Venice Civic Association
• 2007 The First Annual Mike Price Award for Civic Engagement from the Lemon Bay League Inc.
• 2004 Outstanding Leadership in Water Resources Education from the Southwest Florida Water Management District
• 1999 Certificate of Recognition for dedication, initiative, and contribution to the Environmentally Sensitive Lands Advisory Committee from Sarasota County Government